Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If make a purchase through these links, we receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure for more info.
What makes a good leader?
Vision. Personality. Courage. Ambition.
All of these attributes, in the perfect combination, can create a leader who inspires those around them to think, do, and be better.
Lloyd J. Edwards Jr. famously said “you can’t teach leadership, but it can be learned.”
A retired police lieutenant and bureau commander from Huntington Beach, California, Edwards talks about why confidence, integrity, determination, and a commitment to excellence, are the crucial values and traits common among those in leadership positions.
Whether you are currently a leader, or aspire to be a CEO, COO, or CFO one day, it is important to remember that good leadership requires skills that must be constantly honed and refined. Being a leader is about more than just having a certain job title. It’s all about having the direction, perseverance, and ability to motivate other people to achieve a common goal.
Though this post won’t teach you how to be a leader, we hope you’ll be able to learn from and be inspired by these amazing quotes about leadership.
8 Leadership Qualities that make Great Leaders
- Confidence. If you want others to believe you and follow your lead, you’ve got to be sure about your decisions and act with assertiveness.
- Integrity and Honesty. Being honest about your goals and vision from the outset will inspire others to follow you. It’s also vital that you can stick to your values and core beliefs, however successful you become.
- Innovation. Creative impulses and the ability to have ideas that are out of the box – and to follow through with them – is what distinguishes the good from the great.
- Communication. Having a vision for the future of a company is one thing, communicating it to others is something else! Keeping the lines of communication open and honest is vital in earning the respect of your team and motivating them to meet your goals.
- Decisiveness. Decision-making is what sets the leader apart, and can shape the future of a company. Making good decisions without rushing, and acting in a decisive way inspires the confidence of your team.
- Delegation. No one person can do everything, and a good leader can recognize that. As well as freeing you up to focus on key responsibilities and decisions, delegation also empowers other team members and makes them feel valued.
- Accountability. Everyone wants to take the credit when something goes right, but a good leader also takes on his fair share of blame when things go wrong. Working together as a team makes everyone responsible for the future success of the company, and makes for a better working environment.
- Passion and Commitment. If you’re going, go all the way. Great leaders are never afraid of getting their hands dirty and showing how much they care about success, the future, and team morale.
We hope these leadership quotes have inspired you to inspire others. If your favorite is missing, share it with us in the comments!