What you’ll get on this page:
Vince Lombardi was a renowned football coach who led the Green Bay Packers to five NFL championships and two Super Bowl championships over a nine year period. Before Lombardi took over the coaching position, the Packers were a losing team, so he gained fame as a talented motivator.
Lombardi was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1913. He went on to study at Fordham University and played college football while there. After college, Lombardi coached high school and college football, until 1954 when he became a coach for the New York Giants.
When Lombardi took over as the coach for the Green Bay Packers in 1959, the team was not winning. Lombardi pushed them to work hard and persevere, and his tactics eventually paid off with their many victories. Lombardi passed away in 1970, but his dedication and his work ethic continues to define the sport of football. In 1971, the Super Bowl trophy was named in his honor.
Below are 115 of the most outstanding Vince Lombardi quotes.
- As an NFL coach, his teams never experienced a losing search.
- One of Vince Lombardi’s original dreams was to become a Catholic priest. He actually attended the Cathedral College of the Immaculate Conception.
- After Vince Lombardi graduated college, he had trouble finding a job because of the Great Depression. He struggled finding a career path or any ambition for two years.
- Vince Lombardi was surprisingly a late bloomer as an NFL head coach. He was a long-time assistant coach and didn’t land a head coach position until 45 with the Packers. He was only a head coach for only 10 seasons.
- In his free time, to relax, he enjoyed cleaning out closets at home and reading cookbooks.
- President Richard Nixon briefly considered him as a VP candidate. This changed when Nixon learned Lombardi was a Democrat.
Vince Lombardi’s spirit lives on in his motivational messages. Whether on the field or off, we can all use some of these famous Vince Lombardi quotes to tackle our own day to day issues in the game of life.