Winston Churchill was a famous British politician who was born on November 30th 1874 in Woodstock, England. His early life was spent in Dublin but he returned to England to attend school.
Even though he didn’t excel in school, Churchill enrolled in the Royal Military College. After graduating, he joined the British Calvary. During his time in the military, he traveled extensively and wrote about his experiences. In 1908, he married Clementine Hozier, and the couple went on to have five children together. It was during this time that Churchill began his illustrious political career.
He became a member of Parliament in 1900, and when Neville Chamberlain resigned in 1940 during the second World War, Churchill took his place as Prime Minister of England. It was thought that his leadership was the reason for the defeat of Hitler. Churchill lost the 1945 election, but regained his position as Prime Minister in 1951.
In January 1965, Churchill died at the age of 90. His speeches during the war conveyed strength and courage to the population of Great Britain in the face of adversity, and with his candor and wit, he gained much favor among the British people.
The following Winston Churchill quotes prove he was a powerful force in the 20th Century.
- While in New York City in 1931, Winston Churchill was hit by a vehicle while leaving a taxi. He had looked right instead of left for cars, as he was familiar with English roads.
- Churchill took about 60 bottles of booze with him when he left for the Boer War.
- Winston Churchill proposed to three women during while in his twenties. All three women denied his request, but he did remain friends with them.
- The first known use of the term “OMG” was in a letter to Churchill over 100 years ago.
- Churchill was so well-known for his smoking, he has a cuban cigar named after him. The Churchill is about 7inches long and 19mm wide.
- Churchill became Prime Minister of a national government on May 10, 1940 at age 65. This was the same day Hitler invaded France and the Low Countries.
- Churchill was very independent and rebellious even at a very early age. These qualities resulted in a poor academic record at school.
- When Winston Churchill traveled in a ship during World War II, he had a lifeboat mounted with a machine gun so he could “resist capture at all costs.”
- In 1953, Churchill won a Nobel Prize. It was in Literature, not Peace.
- Churchill was personally involved in the development of the tank. It was first used in battle by the British army in September of 1916.
These famous Winston Churchill quotes poignantly show his ability to create camaraderie among the people of the United Kingdom during such a challenging period. Churchill’s wisdom is why he is often thought of as one of the greatest wartime leaders in all of history.