Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If make a purchase through these links, we receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure for more info.
George Washington was born on February 22, 1732 in the state of Virginia. He was a distinguished military leader and a Founding Father of the United States of America.
Washington joined the military in 1753, and fought in the French and Indian Wars. After the fighting was over, he married Martha Custis and lived on his estate at Mount Vernon.
In 1775, at the beginning of the American Revolution, he was made Commander of the Continental Army. Washington helped win the war by leading his troops to important victories against the British. After the war, Washington was elected and served as the first president of the United States in 1789.
Washington was reelected in 1792, but he turned down a third term as president. He died in 1799 from a throat infection, just three years after he left office.
These George Washington quotes illustrate the patriotism and wisdom of the first president of the United States.
“My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth.”
Quotes About George Washington
8 Fun Facts About George Washington
- George Washington did not actually have wooden teeth. He had dentures that were made of walrus or elephant ivory and fitted with human teeth. Over time, as the ivory aged, it resembled the grain of wood.
- Washington is still one of the United States’ biggest presidents. He stood 6’2″ and weighed 200 pounds.
- Washington’s birthday changed when the colonies switched calendars. He was born on February 11, 1731 according to the Gregorian calendar.
- The hair that is depicted in his portraits is his real hair. Washington did not wear a wig, but he did powder his hair, which gave it it’s white color.
- George Washington received a relatively large salary. His salary was 2% of the total US budget.
- He never really chopped down that cherry tree. Parson Weems wrote a myth-filled biography of Washington shortly after he died, which included his mythical cherry tree story.
- Washington was quite an agricultural innovator. He supposedly introduced the idea of crop rotation.
- Washington handled his place in history with extreme care. Even during wartime, he had Congress designate special funds for a team of secretaries. This team spent two full years transferring his wartime papers into beautiful ledgers.
Washington is remembered by all Americans as a patriotic figure who fought for the freedom of our country. His image is depicted on stamps and money, and his name has been given to a city, a state and countless other streets, schools, and venues.
These George Washington quotes allow today’s Americans the opportunity to hear his messages of patriotism over 300 years later. I hope you enjoyed reading them. Share with us your favorite George Washington quote in the comments below!
— Hannah Hutyra