Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If make a purchase through these links, we receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure for more info.
Little is known about the life of Buddha.
Historians believe he was born Prince Siddhartha Gautama in the 5th or 6th Century BC in Nepal. In his 20s, the prince experienced realities of the outside world that led him on a quest for enlightenment. He left the palace to search for it and eventually attained enlightenment.
It was then that he became Buddha.
Until he died at the age of 80, Buddha taught many people how to achieve enlightenment. His doctrines eventually became what is known as Buddhism.
The following 108 Buddha quotes embody the spiritual leader’s emphasis on compassion, peace and happiness.
- Buddha was not as chubby as many depictions of him make it seem – he was portrayed this way because, in the east, it was symbolic of happiness. Buddha practiced moderation, fasted regularly, and spent a lot of his time traveling by foot hundreds of miles, spreading his philosophy of enlightenment.
- Just a few days after he was born, he was predicted to be a wise old man that would become a king or saint that would change the world.
- Buddha’s spot of enlightenment underneath the bodhi tree is still preserved today.
- In order to achieve enlightenment, Young Siddhartha sat under a fig tree and meditated until he transcended suffering. At the end of an extremely lengthy meditation and mental battle with Mara, the god of desire, he became awakened and was then known as the Buddha.
- The first mention of Buddha in Western writing is in the writings of Clement of Alexandria, 2 AD.
Buddha’s spiritual words resonate with all humans, teaching tolerance and love. I hope these famous Buddha quotes bring you inner peace and your own personal enlightenment.