Margaret Hilda Roberts, later Margaret Thatcher, was born on October 13, 1925, in Grantham, a small town in Lincolnshire, England.
Thatcher enrolled at Oxford University in 1943 and studied chemistry. She joined the Oxford Union Conservative Association and became president of the organization in 1946. In 1950 she ran for parliament in the Labour-dominated constituency of Dartford; she lost that year and in 1951. So, she went on to study law and passed the bar exam in 1954.
Thatcher ran for parliament once more in 1959—this time in the Conservative-dominated constituency of Finchley—and won the seat. The first bill she introduced allowed the media to cover local government meetings. She slowly worked her way up the ladder in politics and in 1975 she defeated former Prime Minister Edward Heath.
Throughout her career in politics she was given the name Iron Lady which was coined by a Soviet journalist, marking her out as a staunch opponent of the Soviet Union.
These Margaret Thatcher quotes represent who she was personally and in her political life—a strong woman that most strive to be.
- Margaret Thatcher studied chemistry at university and then she became a barrister, not passing the bar exam until 1953.
- Thatcher was forced to resign in 1990 because of a leadership challenge by Micheal Heseltine and other Conservative MPs.
- She had several nicknames. She was known as the Iron Lady because of her unbending political views and tough leadership style. She was also referred to as Thatcher the Milk Snatcher after her decision to stop providing free milk to children in school.
- Margaret Thatcher liked watching tennis and listening to Bach, Chopin and Beethoven.
- Margaret Thatcher may have helped invent soft-serve ice cream. After university, she worked as a research chemist at a Hammersmith food manufacturer and was part of a team tasked with “whipping more air into ice cream.” They came up with a kind of “soft ice cream” that used fewer ingredients to save money on production costs.
- Although Thatcher was prime minister for 11 years, she didn’t have a chef. She reportedly cooked dinner for her husband every night and frequently cooked for cabinet members as well.
- According to secret files released in Britain in 2009, Thatcher chose the type of gun that the Northern Ireland police force used: An American-made Ruger.
What are your thoughts on these Margaret Thatcher quotes and fun facts? Do you agree with what others say about her and her leadership history?